Friday, November 12, 2004

Devin

I wanted to enter this writing contest that a local newspaper was having. The theme was "A hero in my life..." But, due to unfortunate events of late, I haven't had anytime to write anything...and the submissions are due...well...in about 8 hours. And I don't work all that well under pressure. I would much rather write something that I don't care if its good or not, just something from the heart. So, here I am at the blog, writing about a hero in my life.

Since the day I was born, I have looked up to my brother Devin. And no...its not just the fact that he has always been taller than me....I mean, I have regarded him as my perfect example. Someone to look at when I am at a loss as what to do in sticky situations, to emulate what they would do. He has always been the one that I go crying to when things just aren't going my way. But the amazing thing is that he always made it better. I don't know how, and I don't remember most of what he said, but I always left him feeling like I was the most precious and amazing thing in the world. So, nothing else mattered. And nothing was really as bad as it had seemed.

Now, don't get me wrong, we didn't always get along. We had our tiffs like all brothers and sisters do, but they never lasted long. I think the longest I was ever mad at him was 20 minutes. He may have been mad at me a little longer than that, but it wasn't by much. And if an outsider had looked at my brother, they would have thought "Why on earth does this little impressionable girl use this rebellious punk as a role model?"

I think it was the very fact that he wasn't perfect, and made some huge mistakes, that made me admire him so much. It was the fact that he overcame these gigantic obstacles and pushed himself to redemption that I looked up to him so much. He has truly been through some of the biggest challenges that we, as humans, can face. And he is so strong because of it. I love that about him. His inner strength. He is incredibly strong and he let's me borrow some of his strength when I am in need.

Also, he may seem large and intimidating, but he is one of the most caring, lovable, and empathetic people I know. He loves to give hugs. And I know that he really loves me, because sometimes he just can't let go. He doesn't want to leave my side. He wants to be there every step of the way. He wants to see me grow and learn. He is more like my dad than my dad is! He understands everything. Even things that guys shouldn't be able to understand. (I don't know how he does....but I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. And I'm sure not going to ask him!) When I am hurting, he hurts too. We are so close and understand each other so well, that sometimes we don't even need to speak to know what the other person is feeling or trying to say.

Another thing that I love about him is the fact that he can turn anything into a joke. You could have singed your eyebrows off and looked like a baboon, but he would somehow make you laugh about it. And suddenly, the world is a much brighter place. When Devin walks into a room, you can't miss it. Whether it is his girly scream, or his prancing/skipping gait, or his contagious laughter, you will definately know that the fun has arrived.

But he isn't all just fun and games. He has one of the most serious sides of anyone I know or have ever met. He can be very sobering. He will be talking about the gospel or life's trials or even a really bad haircut he just got, and he gets this regal/wise voice. Its almost like a mage is speaking through him, and if you ask him to tell you the secrets to the whole universe, he can and will.

There are many multi-faceted sides that I could tell you about my brother, but frankly, there is no way I could help you understand him. You would just have to meet him to know. But I can tell you this. He is my hero, my knight in shining armor, my lighthouse in the storm, but most importantly...he is my best friend and brother.

Devin is a hero in my life...

1 comment:

Shexpeare said...

Devin really can make you laugh about anything. He IS fun.